- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425° and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, stirring to mix them well.
- Cut in shortening with a fork until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually stir in milk until dough begins to form a ball.
- On a well floured surface, dump out the dough. It will be sticky.
- With floured hands, sprinkle the top with flour and turn the ball over once or twice to lightly coat it with flour just enough that it is not super sticky.
- The top should be dusted but inside it should still be doughy/sticky. Be very careful not to overwork your dough. The less you knead & press it, the fluffier your biscuits will be.
- Using just your flour-dusted hands, gently press the dough out until it is about 1 inch thick.
- Press it out in any random blob shape and then cut circles with a 2.5-3 inch diameter round cookie/biscuit cutter.
- Transfer the biscuits to your greased cookie sheet and bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or just until the tops begin to turn the faintest shade of brown.